Sunday, 26 June 2011

You expect me to believe that scantily clad, in the arms of another man, in the middle of the night, inside an elephant you were rehearsing?

I'm surprised blogger let me have such a long title..but yes, MOULIN ROUGE one of my personal all-time favourite films ever. And besides the fact that it is incredibly quotable, it's also the topic of this new sketch.

It came about in a weird way, because I dreamt the thing up, literally. The way my dream-logic worked was that ages ago I did a project for college on 'obsession' and then for some reason my brain took that, and the quote from Moulin Rouge 'ridiculous obsession with love' and came up with this, the same layout and everything. with the thought bubble and every 'love' crossed out individually. The only thing I added was the audience (...those circles at the front) and the curtain.

All this coupled with the fact that I've never dreamt about an idea for a possible sketch before meant that I kinda felt like I *had* to draw it just to get it out and make everything come full-circle.

What I didn't realize after this initial idea was that both the characters are hard to draw :P




buut I finished it anyway. This is also the scene where they're on stage and he throws the money at her feet saying 'I've paid my whore' and everyone's crying, including me (sometimes). I was going to colour the curtain a proper Rouge red but I thought it would distract too much away from Christian and Satine and we can't be having that now can we? even if they do look a little fail.
(I still like the concept though).



For anyone who hasn't seen Moulin Rouge (Baz Luhrmann version) doooo it. It's one of the most over-the-top spectacles of romance ever. and it's funny too. But it's not a romcom. HOORAY.


Trying to get my hands on some sumi/other colourful inks at the moment, watch this space for a gazillion brightly ink-washed illos afterwards :)

No comments:

Post a Comment